Selfie starring Karen Gillan and John Cho, only lasted one season, but this romantic comedy sitcom is still worth watching! Find out why.
Selfie aired on ABC in 2014 and starred Karen Gillan and John Cho. It was a romantic comedy based on the George Bernard Shaw play Pygmalion, which was also the inspiration for the musical My Fair Lady. Created by Emily Kapnek, the series only ran for one season, but I remember it to be both funny and adorable. I watched it again recently, and I think it holds up!
I’m not saying the series was perfect, but it made me laugh a lot. Maybe I was blinded by the chemistry between Gillan and Cho, but I could’ve watched their will-they-won’t-they relationship for at least another season. Being a massive fan of Audrey Hepburn, I’ve seen My Fair Lady more times than I can count. My love of that storyline may be what kept me invested. (Well, that and my massive crush on John Cho.) But, unfortunately, I may be in the minority because the show didn’t even last for an entire season on ABC; the remaining episodes aired on Hulu instead.
What went right?
From what I can tell, everything went right. I don’t think the network gave it enough time to work out some of the early kinks, but the show has a reputation for finding critical acclaim after ABC removed it from the air. Unfortunately, it was too little, too late. But the comedy is good, the chemistry is there, and the cast is excellent! Take a look:
- Karen Gillan (Avengers: Endgame, Doctor Who, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle)
- John Cho (Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, Star Trek, Searching)
- Da’Vine Joy Randolph (Ghost: The Musical, Dolemite Is My Name)
- David Harewood (Homeland, Arrow, Supergirl)
- Giacomo Gianniotti (Grey’s Anatomy, From Scratch)
- Samm Levine (Freaks and Geeks, Inglorious Basterds)
- Brian Huskey (Veep, Bobs Burgers)
- Matty Cardarople (Reservation Dogs, A Series of Unfortunate Events)
- Natasha Henstridge (Diggstown, Eli Stone)
My overall thoughts are basically to hunt down the persons responsible for taking Selfie off the air and let them know what a colossal mistake they made. And if there isn’t a Selfie reboot in my future, I certainly need Karen Gillan and John Cho to pair up in another romantic comedy to give me a sense of the ending I so richly deserve! Hunt this one down online and give it a try; I think you’ll really like it.