Even a beginner can do it! Check out this incredibly tasty recipe for old-fashioned lemon poppy seed donuts – your tastebuds will thank you.
I have a distinct memory of making homemade donuts with a family friend when I was a kid. I didn’t love the old-fashioned cakey donuts when I was younger, but I’m a big fan now! And I couldn’t be more excited to try these lemon poppy seed donut recipe all on my own. I have a specific family friend I need to brag to if they turn out! But before I share with her, I wanted to share my find with you!
If you’re ready to make some delicious lemon poppy seed donuts, make sure you have all the ingredients below:
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (totally optional if you don’t have any)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- peanut, vegetable, or canola oil for frying
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted until browned and cooled slightly
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1–2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds plus more for topping
Have everything you need? Then head over to joythebaker.com for the full recipe!